Saturday, June 2, 2012

BYU-I Graduation

I finally graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing! There isn't really a benefit at the moment but I'm just betting in the future there will be a nursing shortage and it will count for something :). My job doesn't change, my pay doesn't change, and it was a lot of work for a year and a half but I now have three letters after my name (BSN) instead of two (RN). I did the online program through BYU Idaho so all of the class work was online and then we had to set up our own clinicals each semester. My clinicals were spent at IMCs Neuro ICU, following a pediatrician at the instacare, at the homeless clinic down town, at a WIC clinic, and with my manager in the NICU. It was a lot of work working full time while doing school and clinicals I can't even imagine how someone with kids on top of that would survive! Drew was patient with a dirty house, dirty laundry, and not many homemade dinners for a year but then again he was the one who promised my parents I would get it in order to marry me haha. I do have to say I learned a lot in my religion classes and nursing classes with the bonus being the whole thing was free.. thanks IHC! Not only was Drew a big help (especially with my B of M classes) but my parents were amazing by encouraging me, proof reading my papers, and being my proctors for Pathophysiology tests.

 My dad was really looking forward to going to Rexburg for my graduation so I couldn't let him down and he headed up there for the weekend. He has been raving about this hamburger place in Rexburg and we have some relatives there so it made for a fun weekend. I have the best and most supportive family someone could ask for.. my aunt Janeal heard we were going and all of the sudden it turned into a fun family trip with my parents, Janeal, Tom, my Grandpa and my three cousins Ariel, Logan, and Jake. It was so sweet of them to all want to drive 4 hours each way for my graduation! We had a fun time at dinner and then Drew and I and the cousins shared a hotel room. It was a fast weekend with a lot of driving but I loved it and was so happy so much of my family decided to join in on the party!


 I pretty much owe my whole education to my parents! They have been awesome and paid for all of my schooling until BYU-I when IHC took over. They also paid for my housing when I lived in Provo and only slept there maybe once or twice a week.. oops. They have been so encouraging and have really showed me how important it is to get an education. I will never be able to thank them enough for all of there help financially and emotionally! The last year and a half they have kept telling me "all you have to do is pass" when I'm stressed... knowing it would calm me down but that I couldn't go for just passing..

 Blurry.. but the only picture of everyone that came.


I got my diploma in the mail today.. and I figured out as much as I think I don't like change there must be something inside of me that thrives on it because I had transfering credits from 5 five schools plus my final one at BYU-I on my final transcript. Drew and I are both so excited we are finally done and can come home from work and just relax instead of doing homework!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!! So proud of ya Em and thrilled that you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Emily!!! What a great accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Gerd is the best man I know. You have awesome parents. Second, I am so proud of you and all your hard work. Third, you are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you did it! Congrats on the Graduation! I love that you drove up for it :) That's something I would have done! haha

    ReplyDelete